Thursday, March 4, 2010

Momentum Artist: Savannah Mitchell, OKC

Savannah Mitchell, OKC
Cebra
Acrylic

Q: What was the concept behind your Momentum artwork?
A: "Cebra" is a piece from my "alebrije" project, a series of paintings, started in January 2009, featuring psychedelic animals in the style of the Oaxacan folk art called "alebrijes". Pedro Linares invented "alebrijes" while his illness was inducing hallucinations of wildly colorful and fantastic creatures. "Alebrijes" are traditionally made from papier mache or wood, while my series focuses on their representation in 2-D. "Cebra" in particular focuses on taking the zebra out of the context of its natural environment and replicating the pattern throughout the entire piece.

Q: Explain the technique and/or process you used to create your Momentum work
A: While working on my on "Cebra" and other paintings in my "alebrije" project, I often painted in a free associative method, trusting my color, brush, and texture choices to intuition and stream of consciousness.

No comments: