Saturday, April 18, 2009

VisionMakers: Artist Interview with Harolyn Long


VisionMakers 2009 features 37 Oklahoma artists working in three-dimensional and high craft media.

Guest blogger romy owens has done mini-interviews with many of the featured artists. Check back here during the run of the VisionMakers exhibition for insights into the world of these artists.

VisionMakers 2009 is on exhibit at Six11 Creative, 611 N Broadway in Oklahoma City. It will run through April 30 and is open Thursday-Saturday, noon-6pm.

romy owens: How long have you been an artist?
Harolyn Long: Since 5th grade, but professionally 27 years.

ro: What is your preferred media for your artwork, and why?
HL: Clay. The tactile quality is very satisfying and soothing.

ro: Is this your first year in Vision Makers?
HL: No. 1989,1996,1998,2002,2004,and 2009. Was 2004 the year it was in Norman, if so that was the last year.

ro: How does an exhibition like Vision Makers affect your art and/or career?
HL: It helps to validate me as an artist to my peers, the public and myself.

ro: Who or what are your primary artistic influences?
HL: Japanese design

ro: What challenges do you face in making art?
HL: I am constantly trying to push my medium to withstand the demands I make of it. I enjoy the planning of the piece, completely from start to finish, before I ever begin the construction.

ro: Where can people you don't know see more of your artwork?
HL: In my home/studio

No comments: