Friday, April 17, 2009

VisionMakers: Artist Interview with Sue Moss Sullivan


VisionMakers 2009 features 37 Oklahoma artists working in three-dimensional and high craft media.

Guest blogger romy owens has done mini-interviews with many of the featured artists. Check back here during the run of the VisionMakers exhibition for insights into the world of these artists.

VisionMakers 2009 is on exhibit at Six11 Creative, 611 N Broadway in Oklahoma City. It will run through April 30 and is open Thursday-Saturday, noon-6pm.

romy owens: How long have you been an artist?
Sue Moss Sullivan: I began with black/white photography in 1968; moved to weaving and fiber art in 1972 when I found a loom.

ro: What is your preferred media for your artwork, and why?
SMS: Fiber (weaving, mixed media). I am not an academically trained artist so painting and drawing was never my strong suit. I have always been fascinated with taking a pile of loose, limp yarn and creating solid structures with them. My mixed media work obviously is influenced by the woven, grid form.

ro: Is this your first year in Vision Makers?
SMS: I was also in Visiomakers in 1989, 2001, 2007, and 2009

ro: How does an exhibition like Vision Makers affect your art and/or career?
SMS: It has given me the opportunity to exhibit with excellent artists and OVAC’s strong reputation lifts my professional reputation.

ro: Who or what are your primary artistic influences?
SMS: Kay Sekimachi, renowned California fiber artist has always informed my work and studying the international, cultural history of fiber continues to influence how I work and view things.

ro: What challenges do you face in making art?
SMS: Always trying to be motivated to push forward.

ro: Where can people you don't know see more of your artwork?
SMS: Studio Six in the Paseo Art District, Oklahoma City. I own the gallery with 3 other artists.

No comments: