Friday, April 3, 2009

VisionMakers: Artist Interview with Jean Ann Fausser


VisionMakers 2009 features 37 Oklahoma artists working in three-dimensional and high craft media.

Guest blogger romy owens has done mini-interviews with many of the featured artists. Check back here during the run of the VisionMakers exhibition for insights into the world of these artists.VisionMakers 2009 is on exhibit at Six11 Creative, 611 N Broadway in Oklahoma City. It will run through April 30 and is open Thursday-Saturday, noon-6pm.

romy owens: How long have you been an artist?
Jean Ann Fausser: I majored in art initially in college in the '60s but had to change my major to be assured of a job to support three children. I have always created some kind of art though. Prior to opening a bookstore I was pursuing watercolor painting on a full time basis but during the period of time I had the bookstore I was unable to spend any time on the making of art. When I closed the bookstore 13 years ago, however, I set up my studio and have been involved in taking workshops and creating art full time since then.

ro: What is your preferred media for your artwork, and why?
JAF: I really like exploring new media and experimenting with the combinations of craft and fine art materials. Most of what I do though involves fiber art of some sort. Mixed media fiber art probably best describes most of my work.

ro: Is this your first year in Vision Makers?
JAF: The first year I was in Vision Makers was 2002 in Norman and have entered and been accepted each time since then.

ro: How does an exhibition like Vision Makers affect your art and/or career?
JAF: Being able to list a high quality juried exhibit such as Vision Makers is important to my resume. It has helped me be seen by other gallery directors such as Living Arts which led to an invitation to submit a proposal for a solo exhibit. That proposal was also submitted to IAO. The subsequent exhibit was shown at both galleries and also was exhibited at the Center for Art and Education in Van Buren, Arkansas and the Shafer Gallery on the campus of Barton County Community College in Great Bend, Kansas.

ro: Who or what are your primary artistic influences?
JAF: My influences are far ranging from high craft artists to painters and sculptors. It would be diffucult for me to single out any one or group.

ro: What challenges do you face in making art?
JAF: Time and personality. I am involved now in a number of arts organizations which can take up time. However, I'm very excited about some directions for events and facilities these organizations are spearheading and very much want to be involved. Personality - I'm very shy about approaching galleries and putting myself out to become more commercial. That's why I've done more juried exhibits.

ro: Where can people you don't know see more of your artwork?
JAF: I have a few things at the Pearson Gallery in Tulsa at Peoria and 15th Street in the Cherry Street neighborhood. Most everything is also on my website at:
www.JFiberart.com


No comments: