Monday, March 3, 2014

Nostalgic Collages: Momentum Artist Christopher Lee

This post is part of our series on Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition's Momentum OKC 2014. Momentum exhibits Oklahoma artists ages 30 and younger in a venue created specifically for them, helping them gain experience and meet new audiences. Today we are featuring Momentum artist Christopher Lee from Oklahoma City, OK.


Laura Reese: What is your concept and inspiration for this piece in Momentum?
Christopher Lee: I attempt to sustain emotion through fragmented imagery and tonal collage work by creating moments that feel nostalgic and meaningful for the viewer, amidst the ever changing visual landscape. '1984' represents my birth year, but I think that year can insinuate different meanings to the audience, drawing their conclusions due to their own experiences or the literary work based off the same title.  

Christopher Lee, Oklahoma City, “1984”, Digital, 20 X 27, $500
LR: Please explain the technique and/or process you used to create this work.
CL: I enjoy showcasing my love of printmaking and found type through a process involving forgotten design layouts and artworks, multiple textures(found or photographed) and other typographic elements. In this case, I collected imagery from 1984. I like the idea of taking images or type from pre-existing layouts and taking them out of context to convey a completely different mood or meaning. I bring these images into the computer where I'm able to try multiple layouts and layering before finalizing a piece.

LR: Is this work part of a series?

CL: No, it's not part of a series, but most of my work follows the same themes of found images and typographic manipulations.

LR: Where else can the audience see your work?
CL: My work can be found at insertemotion.com, which also includes my design work and photography.

Momentum OKC opens March 7 & 8 with live music, performance, and visual art by 101 young Oklahomans. The exhibition remains on display until March 10 at the Farmer's Public Market OKC, 311 S Klein. Learn more or buy tickets at www.MomentumOklahoma.org

No comments: