Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Artist INC: Kenzie Heidelberg

(interview by romy owens)
Art by Kenzie Heidelberg
Q: What five words would you use to describe your art? 
A: Portraits, control, vulnerability, symbolism, creative-lighting 

Q: What do you create as an artist?
A: I create photographs that encourage people to be introspective.

Q: How has your practice changed over time?
A: At first I wanted to avoid taking photos of people altogether, which I find funny because now I want to use as many portraits as possible. I think I was nervous about people not liking the way they looked in my images. Which is also probably why I played with self portraits so much in the beginning! 

Q: Do you have any other jobs in addition to being an artist? If yes, how does that affect your artistic practice?
A: Yes, I also work as a photographer for a corporation. There aren't as many artistic opportunities on the corporate side, but it has helped me become very attentive to details in my art practice. 

Q: What role do you think an artist has in society?
A: I think art has an amazing power to bring issues and causes into focus for society. If you get an artist passionate about something, there is a really good chance people will hear the message!

Q: How can you be contacted?

A: The best way to contact me is by email (knzphotos@gmail.com) or from my website knzphoto.com

Twenty-five Oklahoma artists met once a week for 8 weeks as part of the Artist INC Live OKC program in fall 2013. Artist INC is a cutting edge training program that addresses the specific business needs and challenges of artists. More info at www.ArtistSurvivalKit.org.

No comments: