Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Affinity to Nature: 12x12 Artist Sharon Webster


Guest Interviewer: Cayla Lewis


Sharon Webster, Edmond
Sharon Webster, Toward the Range, Acrylic, 12x12”
Q: How do you decide which medium to use for each subject?
Sharon Webster: Many times the subject matter dictates the media that I choose. Lately, I have found, that if I respond strongly to a photo that I have taken I want to use it in many ways. I might print out a photo, then paint it in oil or acrylic or experiment with mixed media and incorporate the image somehow. I work with an image until I get it out of my system.

Q: Do your Southern roots influence the subject matter you choose?
SW: I think that my love of the outdoors influences my work more. I think I have an affinity to nature, whether the scissortails that I see throughout the area, farmland near my home or bison seen while hiking the Wichita mountains. Maybe as a southerner I am more connected to the land.

View and bid on this artwork as part of the 12x12 Art Fundraiser on September 28, 2012 along with food, fun and 149 other artists. Preview the artwork for the one-night event and purchase tickets here: www.12x12okc.org

No comments: