Friday, September 17, 2010

12x12 Artist: Carolyn Faseler

Carolyn Faseler, Cherries Jubilee, Acrylic
Q: Tell us how you created this piece.

Faseler: I created this 12 x 12 piece, Cherries Jubilee, with no preconceived idea except my husband suggested I do something with cherries because we’ve been eating them like crazy since they’ve been available this summer. I usually start by brushing on several analogous colors like red, yellow, and orange.  From there I go on to shapes but let the work speak to me at all times for directions as to where and what. Drips, scraping, scratches, splatters, and many layers later I check to see if everything is working such as is there anything that I can fix or change or should I just leave it alone.  If something is wrong, I get the gesso out and go over the offending areas. Sometimes as in this case I add collage at the end.

Q: How is this work similar to or different from your other artwork?

Faseler: This work is similar to my recent work which is abstract. Squares, rectangles, and circles have interested me for several years. They’re ancient symbols and speak of a kind of universality that I try to attain.

Q: In what upcoming venues might audiences be able to see your work?

Faseler: I have a gallery show scheduled in September in the Leslie Powell Foundation Gallery in Lawton, Oklahoma.  The reception date is September 11, 2010, 7:00-9:00pm.  The show hangs through the end of October.  

View and purchase artwork by 150 Oklahoma artists September 25, 2010 at the 12x12 Art Sale and Event.  Buy tickets, read more and see pictures at www.12x12okc.org

No comments: