Wednesday, September 22, 2010

12x12 Artist: Carol Beesley

Carol Beesley, Ridge Top, Echo Canyon, NM
Q: Tell us how you created this piece.


Beesley: Ridge Top, Echo Canyon, NM was one of several versions referenced from the same photograph.  This practice began years ago during which I used postcards from the '30s and '40s to do a whole series of paintings of the Grand Canyon. Sometimes I used the same postcard again and again, changing the color but always keeping the characteristic forms.  I have many albums of postcards and   photographs. I'm constantly looking through the albums for new takes on old friends. 


Q: How is this work similar to or different from your other artwork?


Beesley: The style in Ridge Top is, I'm told, very distinctive.  Bright colors and veracity of structure are two qualities of my landscape paintings. 


Q: In what upcoming venues might audiences be able to see your work?


Beesley: See new paintings of Quartz Mountain at the JRB Gallery until August 27th.   In May 2011, I will be again be joined by Alan Atkinson in exhibitions of new work at MAINSITE in Norman.   At 6 pm Friday, May 27th, 2011, as part of “Art After Hours" at the Fred Jones Museum of Art, I will talk about the photographs of Frederick Sommer.

View and purchase artwork by 150 Oklahoma artists September 25, 2010 at the 12x12 Art Sale and Event.  Buy tickets, read more and see pictures at www.12x12okc.org

No comments: