Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Momentum Artist: Sean Vali Ghassempour, Guthrie

Sean Vali Ghassempour, Guthrie
You Should Ask The Bird
Woodstain & Acrylic

Q: What was the concept behind your Momentum artwork?
A: When I decided to submit to Momentum this year I wanted to do something that reflected my inspirations in Oklahoma. You can't be from Oklahoma and not have some attachment to our local jungles, the trees and the creatures that call them home. The idea of painting a tree on wood is that it comes full circle. What once was a tree that turned to wood that turned into a tree again.

Q: Explain the technique and/or process you used to create your Momentum work.
A: My good friend Tim Selby custom built the Maple hardwood frame to suit...and then I did the pencil sketch. I used 2 colors of stain that I picked up at an estate sale in Dallas a while back and combined them with some acrylics and whatnots. The tree is based off of one line drawings. The stain allowed me to preserve the integrity of the grain. While feeding your brain with positive and negative shapes...Wait... a Squirell holding a Turtle?... and there's a Bird?...Well, if I even begin to tell you I would ruin the endless quest. Besides, you shouldn't be listening to me anyway...You should ask the bird.

Free Gallery Hours: Tonight and tomorrow, 5-7 pm. www.MomentumOklahoma.org.
View, Purchase and Experience Artwork by Oklahoma's Emerging Young Artists at Momentum OKC.

No comments: