Thursday, March 11, 2010

Momentum Artist: Kristin Gentry

Kristin Gentry, Stillwater

Printed Totem Pattern I & II
Woodblock Relief With Hand Sewn Thread

Q: What was the concept behind your Momentum artwork?
A: The concept behind Printed Totem Pattern I & II is derived from my stylistic approach from my works dealing with my Native American heritage. The printed patterns are arranged in a totem like pattern to exemplify my heritage.

Q: Explain the technique and/or process you used to create your Momentum work.
A: I created the diptych from a rectangular woodblock. Once I printed the high contrast image, I reformatted them to fit into a taller, totem like pattern. I attached the prints together by sewing them together by hand. I enjoy sewing my pieces since the works are inspired by the tribal regalia that women wear while dancing in a pow wow arena. I built the shadow box frames by hand, so that the sewing could be felt. I like my art to be a little more approachable than a typical gallery piece behind glass.


Free Gallery Hours: LAST NIGHT Tonight, 5-7 pm. www.MomentumOklahoma.org. View, Purchase and Experience Artwork by Oklahoma's Emerging Young Artists at Momentum OKC.

No comments: