Thursday, March 4, 2010

Momentum Artist: Laura Murray, OKC

Laura Murray, OKC

Self Portrait III
Watercolor

Q: What was the concept behind your Momentum artwork?
A: This piece was meant to serve as an unfiltered reflection of my own true self at my current state in age. I was about to turn 20, and I was having somewhat of a mid-mid-life crisis. I felt like I was putting on an act for people whenever I spoke about my artwork and the messages I was trying to communicate. I think I was having some problems confronting my own disappointments with myself, and this struggle with personal integrity resulted in a false personality. So I painted a self portrait in an attempt to confront myself. I chose to pose naked as a way to represent shedding myself of any disguises or camouflages that hide who I really am. There is not meant to be any sensuality or promiscuity to it. Just recognition.

Q: Explain the technique and/or process you used to create your Momentum work.
A: I chose to use watercolors because it added to the theme of clarity through transparency. I made myself stand naked in front of a mirror and just look at myself for hours. I studied everything, especially my facial expressions. I also focused a lot on my collar bone. I'm still not sure why. Mostly I meditated through the painting. It was a very personal experience. It is unnerving but at the same time a relief to share this experience with others.

View, Purchase and Experience Artwork by Oklahoma's Emerging Young Artists at Momentum OKC tomorrow 6-midnight and Saturday 8-midnight. Gallery Hours: March 9, 10 & 11. Tickets and more information: www.MomentumOklahoma.org.

No comments: