Monday, March 8, 2010

Art Studio Tour: Gaylord Oscar Herron

Herron is a photojournalist and fine arts photographer who worked for the Tulsa Tribune and as a reporter for KOTV. In 1975 he published Vagabond, a memoir consisting of paintings, photographs and prose on subjects ranging from circus people to motels.

Where you’ve seen it:
Adorning the walls of G. Oscar, his bicycle shop.

Ask about:
His first photograph, a Sycamore tree on Riverside, and why there are no photographers – only photographs.

Quotable:
“I was 33 years old when Vagabond was published. After it came out I tried to go back to my earlier work, but instead became the vagabond that I wrote about. From then on I did everything from construction to furniture building until I discovered bikes.”

Guest Blogger: Sarah Jesse, Bernsen Director of Education and Public Programs at the Philbrook Museum of Art.

Meet the artists and see working spaces and during the Tulsa Art Studio Tour April 10 and 11. http://www.tulsaartstudiotour.org/


No comments: