Saturday, February 27, 2010

Momentum Artist: Amber Bailey, Enid

Q: What was the concept behind your Momentum artwork?
A: I wanted to create a piece that would represent the change and movement of the world in a way that would empower the wearer. I looked at the universe and tried to recreate it
's beauty and infinity. The world around us is constantly moving so I felt it was incredibly important that the piece had movement that would engage the viewer to interact with the piece.


Q: Explain the technique and/or process you used to create your Momentum work.A: I started with a sketchbook and a goal to create a piece that could unify the art of beading and silver smithing because the two tend to be very separated, by metal smiths especially. I looked at the work of Larry Brickman and felt it was very celestial so I asked him to create a bead for me. I showed him my drawings and lent him my thoughts on color and the process began.


I first created the silver circles by hammering silver sheet for a little texture and then forming it into large bands. I drilled through the centers and cut tubing that would hold them separate. I then put silver wire through the entire contraption and curled out the ends rather than soldering so I wouldn't damage the bead in the center. I chose jade and glass beads and set forth to make a three strand collar to connect to the orbital focal piece. I created a bail for the center by fabricating a box that would hold the strands apart with tubes soldered inside and added the amethyst settings. I created two more stand separators and strung it all on 18 gauge silver wire to ensure it would wear correctly. 

Image: “Phase II,” Silver, Amethyst, Jade Beads, Glass Beads. Artwork will be on display at Momentum OKC.

View, Purchase and Experience Artwork by Oklahoma's Emerging Young Artists at Momentum OKC.
Event: March 5-6.  Gallery Hours: March 9, 10 & 11. Tickets and more information: www.MomentumOklahoma.org

1 comment:

真;ˋ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.