Friday, April 24, 2009

VisionMakers: Artist Interview with Janet Shipley Hawks


VisionMakers 2009 features 37 Oklahoma artists working in three-dimensional and high craft media.

Guest blogger romy owens has done mini-interviews with many of the featured artists. Check back here during the run of the VisionMakers exhibition for insights into the world of these artists.

VisionMakers 2009 is on exhibit at Six11 Creative, 611 N Broadway in Oklahoma City. It will run through April 30 and is open Thursday-Saturday, noon-6pm.

romy owens: How long have you been an artist?
Janet Shipley Hawks: I think I've been a fiber artist since I first learned to sew on buttons at age 4 and knit at age 6 but only "fulll-time" in the last 10 years.

ro: What is your preferred media for your artwork, and why?
JSH: I'm a Fiber artist who was never successful with the "drawing and painting" artwork but could always use fibers to "create". Though I've used sewing, knitting, weaving, macrame', crochet and quilting, I'm now working on developing my "Sculpted Threads" technique even more.

ro: Is this your first year in Vision Makers?
JSH: I had quilted pieces in Vision Makers in 1989 and 2002. In 2006 my first Sculpted Threads vessel was accepted and this year it's one of my "undersea" thread creations.

ro: How does an exhibition like Vision Makers affect your art and/or career?
JSH: Having a piece of my work accepted for Visionmakers is a real affirmation for my creations. It is a real stimulus to be recognized by a juror who probably hasn't seen my work previously. Friends and family are always supportive, but when it comes from the larger art world it's very rewarding and gives me the impetus to continue.

ro: Who or what are your primary artistic influences?
JSH: I'm influenced by the colors in nature and the forms that emerge from my sewing machine. As I work I am constantly analyzing and wondering what would happen if I---- combined these colors or stitched in this manner?

ro: What challenges do you face in making art?
JSH: Time! Sculpted Threads is a part of my life, but so is my home, garden and family which must share my time!

ro: Where can people you don't know see more of your artwork?
JSH:
www.sculptedthreads.com

No comments: