Thursday, April 23, 2009

Events: Oklahoma City Festival of the Arts


OVAC intern Maria Glover visited the Oklahoma City Festival of the Arts on Opening Day. Here's her report:

Festival of the Arts is Here!

If you haven’t already checked out the annual Oklahoma City Festival of the Arts you’re definitely missing out! The mixture of art and food is a perfect combination for a day or night out on the town.

I ventured out Tuesday around 11 am on Hudson Street and it was packed with art lovers and workers on lunch break. Festival goers appeared to have fun with the impressive sculptures on the Stage Center’s lawn as they played around and took pictures. The vendors are also an exciting element of the festival. I walked cautiously over to each trying to convince myself that I wouldn’t be suckered into buying anything. My will power did not last, and I bought the most beautiful baked clay hand-crafted candle holder with colored crushed glass in the center. To my surprise, I also found artists selling original crafted jewelry (one of my many obsessions!). I managed not to buy anything but “window shopping” was fun.

So, there’s the art but of course this review wouldn’t be complete without mentioning the food. There are so many food tents that whatever you’re craving you’re bound to find something you’ll love. I found my favorite, a scrumptious gyro, and enjoyed a good eat while I continued browsing through the art vendors. It can’t get better than that!

If you love art, jewelry, unusual crafted pottery, great food etc., you’ll love the Festival of the Arts. So go check it out - it lasts until April 26th, open from 11 am to 9pm. Enjoy! -Maria


No comments: