Saturday, April 11, 2009

VisionMakers: Artist Interview with Maryruth Prose


VisionMakers 2009 features 37 Oklahoma artists working in three-dimensional and high craft media.

Guest blogger romy owens has done mini-interviews with many of the featured artists. Check back here during the run of the VisionMakers exhibition for insights into the world of these artists.

VisionMakers 2009 is on exhibit at Six11 Creative, 611 N Broadway in Oklahoma City. It will run through April 30 and is open Thursday-Saturday, noon-6pm.

romy owens: How long have you been an artist?
Maryruth Prose: I have been doing art since I was about 6 yrs old. We are all born to produce art in some form, somehow.

ro: What is your preferred media for your artwork, and why?
MP: Fiber, actually thread because I have been working with it since I was about 6 yrs. old, I am comfortable with it and it responds to my touch. Besides, I can dye it any color I want.

ro: Is this your first year in Vision Makers?
MP: This is my first year.

ro: How does an exhibition like Vision Makers affect your art and/or career?
MP: The exhibition doesn't really effect my art or my career; I weave because I love it and do it regardless.

ro: Who or what are your primary artistic influences?
MP: Rachel Brown and Rebecca Bluestone are primary influences, also Peter Collingswood. Color influences me: I want to dye THAT color.

ro: What challenges do you face in making art?
MP: There are no challenges. There is my imagination and creating it in my art along with the color I love.

ro: Where can people you don't know see more of your artwork?
MP: People can see more of my work at my house, at Cameron University, and at about 200 private homes throughout the United States.

No comments: