Monday, April 13, 2009

Guest Artist: Kristen Vails

Our intrepid intern Ryan Pack (RP) is querying artist members about business of art tips. Watch on Mondays for new artist interviews. This week's query is to Kristen Vails whose exhibition "Unscarred by Spur or Rod" opens tonight, April 13, 5:30-7:30 in the East Gallery of the Oklahoma State Capitol and runs through June 14.

RP: Kristen, when did you first discover that art would be an important part of your adult life?

KV: In high school. I didn't take art until junior year, and my art teacher sent me to these academic meets. I never expected it, but I would always place. I had never been really good at anything, I played sports, was decent in school, but I never felt I had a talent for those things . Once I discovered I actually did have a talent--it instilled confidence. To this day, I think art gives me the confidence to do many of the things I do.

No comments: