Saturday, March 28, 2009

VisionMakers: Artist Interview with Lisa Sorrell


VisionMakers 2009 features 37 Oklahoma artists working in three-dimensional and high craft media.

Guest blogger romy owens has done mini-interviews with many of the featured artists. Check back here during the run of the VisionMakers exhibition for insights into the world of these artists.

VisionMakers 2009 opens this today, March 28 from 7-9pm at Six11 Creative, 611 N Broadway in Oklahoma City. It will run through April 30 and is open Thursday-Saturday, noon-6pm.

romy owens: How long have you been an artist?
Lisa Sorrell: As a child I was always drawing. Once I got older I discovered that I could sketch things and then make them, which was even more fun.

ro: What is your preferred media for your artwork, and why?
LS: As a bootmaker I work with leather, primarily kangaroo, ostrich and crocodile.

ro: Is this your first year in VisionMakers?
LS: Yes.

ro: How does an exhibition like VisionMakers affect your art and/or career?
LS: Since this is my first year, I guess I'll find out!

ro: Who or what are your primary artistic influences?
LS: The late 1940’s and early 1950’s were a time when cowboy boots suddenly became popular and fashionable and bootmakers were producing boots that were colorful and wild. That time period inspires me.

ro: What challenges do you face in making art?
LS: My biggest challenge is finding the time to build the boots I want to build. Building boots for customers pays the bills but sometimes keeps me from exploring my own ideas.

ro: Where can people you don't know see more of your artwork?
LS: I have a gallery in Guthrie, Sorrell Gallery. I’m always happy to give tours and demonstrate bootmaking, although appointments are recommended. I also have a website:
www.sorrellcustomboots.com

No comments: