Sunday, March 9, 2014

Exploring Death: Momentum Artist Klair Larason

This post is part of our series on Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition's Momentum OKC 2014. Momentum exhibits Oklahoma artists ages 30 and younger in a venue created specifically for them, helping them gain experience and meet new audiences. Today we are featuring Momentum artist Klair Larason from Stillwater, OK.


Laura Reese: What is your concept and inspiration for this work in Momentum?
Klair Larason: My concept and inspiration are not completely solid yet, however I've become of fond working on skulls and bones as a medium. It might sound odd, but I enjoy the concept of death very much, it has almost the widest array of connections and applications for people. I find the idea of a complete end strange; specifically the idea of where there will be a day where I won't exist anymore. I think it's good for me to focus and think about this weird thing and how it affects myself and others. Always exploring I guess. 
Klair Larason, Stillwater, “The Cow”, Skull with Gum Wrapper Foil, 6.5x9x17, $320
LR: Please explain the technique and/or process you used to create this work.
KL: My technique has always been kind of streamlined, but usually I first start with a background medium and then add onto that. In this case it was with various skulls, so I would first acquire one I liked to work on. This one I "borrowed" from my mom when I was 10 and she found it while hiking in the Wichita Mountains. After I find a skull, I then melt and pour plastic over it. It takes about thirty minutes to an hour to pour, then I wait another day or two for it to settle and harden. Then I just freehand whatever I want on the rest of the pour, in this case it's gum wrapper foil. Lay down a couple clear coats for good measure, then wham bam I'm done!

Klair Larason, Stillwater, “The Coyote”, Skull with Gum Wrapper Foil, 3x3.5x6, $120
LR: Is this work part of a series?
KL: I'd really like to think it's going to be part of a series, but that depends on how many more skulls I can afford and make . However, I do plan to work on this longer and see this as a new direction for me. I'll always keep making art. 

LR:Where else can the audience see your work?

KL: My work can be found on the [OVAC] Virtual Gallery and I usually post on my tumblr
I welcome anyone interested to contact me either on Facebook or my email below. 

Momentum OKC features visual art by 101 young Oklahomans. The exhibition remains on display until March 10, with artist talks at 6pm at the Farmer's Public Market OKC, 311 S Klein. Learn more or buy tickets at www.MomentumOklahoma.org


No comments: