Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Blended Textures:Momentum Artist Anna Lee

This post is part of our series on Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition's Momentum OKC 2014. Momentum exhibits Oklahoma artists ages 30 and younger in a venue created specifically for them, helping them gain experience and meet new audiences. Today we are featuring Momentum artist Anna Lee from Oklahoma City, OK.

Laura Reese: What is your concept and inspiration for this piece in Momentum?
Anna Lee: Photography is my medium as an artist, but I’m also a graphic designer, so these pieces seek to combine those two elements. My pieces in Momentum this year are titled "Geometry 101”. I’m currently very drawn to geometric shapes being used as an artistic aesthetic, especially as a way to affect photographs. I like the combination of the organic landscapes in the photos and the hard lines of the digital shapes. It creates somewhat of a futurist sentiment for me.
Anna Lee, Oklahoma City, “Geometry 101 #2”,
Photography & Digital Art (printed on wood), 18x24, $250

LR: Please explain the technique and/or process you used to create this work.
AL: The photos were taken digitally while on trips in other states and countries. At the time, I was not taking them with an artistic end result in mind- just documenting my trips. However, they ended up being what I needed to execute my vision when I imagined this series. After toning the photos as I generally do, I overlaid the geometric shapes using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. The compositions are printed on wood to add another layer of blended texture.

Anna Lee, Oklahoma City, “Geometry 101 #1”,
Photography & Digital Art (printed on wood), 18x24, $250
LR: Is this work part of a series?
The two pieces that will be in Momentum do create a series that I hope to add more compositions to in the future.

Where else can the audience see your work? (website, gallery, etc.)
More of my photography work (portrait and art) can be seen on my website, blog, and social connections:
twitter: @annaleemedia
instagram: @annaleemedia
tumblr: annaleemedia
Momentum OKC opens March 7 & 8 with live music, performance, and visual art by 101 young Oklahomans. The exhibition remains on display until March 10 at the Farmer's Public Market OKC, 311 S Klein. Learn more or buy tickets at www.MomentumOklahoma.org

No comments: