Friday, August 30, 2013

Momentum Tulsa Emerging Curator: Krystle Brewer


Submissions for Momentum: Art Doesn’t Stand Still are due by September 5 at 5 pm. Oklahoma artists aged 30 and younger are eligible.

Guest curators for Momentum Tulsa are 108 Contemporary Director Emily Kern and emerging curator, Krystle Brewer. The curators selected three artists for Spotlight awards, for which the artists receive $2,000 and three months of curatorial guidance. Momentum Tulsa opens 8 p.m. until midnight, October 12th, 2013 at Living Arts, 307 E. Brady in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Gallery hours will continue through October 24.

I had the privilege of communicating with Brewer via e-mail to understand more about her background and process as Emerging Curator of Momentum Tulsa 2013. Below is the question and answer session from our conversation.

Laura Reese: What is your educational/professional background?
Krystle Brewer: I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Oklahoma City University in 2009 with a focus in ceramics. After graduating, I did an internship with OVAC and then worked with the Cultural Development Corporation as Project Manager. I currently work as a Graduate Research Assistant at the OSU Museum of Art as I pursue a Master's in Art History.

Momentum Tulsa 2013 Emerging Curator Krystle Brewer

What brought you to this current point in your career?
I applied for this opportunity four times before I was chosen. After repeated rejections, I … began creating curating opportunities Each of the shows I have curated have been so drastically different that they have each taught me a different set of skills.


What is your interest in curating? Where do you think this stems from?
Curating has been the bridge between the art world and the world of academics for me. I see myself as being a part of both communities and through curating I get to both work with art and artists while still researching and writing about the works.

You have interned at OVAC, how might this affect your process in curating Momentum?
My internship at OVAC has broadened my understanding of the show. You don't realize how much work goes into the shows or to what an extent it is a communal effort. I think the way artists and art supporters join together for a common goal of promoting the arts in Oklahoma, especially for the young artist populous as in Momentum, ensures that in years to come, we will continue to have a thriving arts community here in Oklahoma.

How does your role as an artist affect the way you look at art?
You have a better understanding of mediums and processes that includes identifying choices that artists have made in their work.

Krystle Brewer, I Always Wanted to Live in a Yellow House
 So I Could Pretend to be VanGogh, 
Ceramic, fiber

As a past Momentum Artist, what do you think you can bring from that experience to curating?
I think it is helpful to have been on the other side of this process because it gives a greater understanding of the process the artists have gone through in the Spotlight Artist proposals and the general submission.

What do you find to be the most important thing about Momentum in the role of young artists?
I really believe in the role Momentum has as it gives an opportunity for young artists to show their work in a venue that is supportive and understanding of the learning process that artists go through. It isn't something that is often thought of when you are a young artist, but you have to learn how to show your work. Whether you get into Momentum or not, you learn from the process.

No comments: