Friday, April 5, 2013

Connection to Environment - Richard Wills

Studio Tour Artist Richard Wills in his studio
Starting as a student in graphic design, Richard Wills stumbled upon printmaking, and found an instant connection to design and its roots in printing. "Printmaking draws me in because I love the process of making the plates and printing the image," Wills said. His love of the process allows for him to “unplug” from the ever-present demanding technology in our day-to-day lives. In his studio he prints by hand, and with this centuries old craft, he connects to previous generations in his art making. He also experiments with different techniques in printing, such as making a print with toothpicks. 
Richard Wills, Are We There Yet?, Relief Print
 His art explores space and place, using images and ideas that reflect his experience of travels, and his connection to his environment. "Whether spending time in nature or walking through an urban landscape I have always found solace connecting with my environment," he says, "Each way point I find along my path leads to new revelations in myself and in my creations."

Meet & see the working studio of Wills along with 9 other artists on April 20-21, noon until 5 pm on the Tulsa Art Studio TourFor more info, or to purchase tickets, visit www.TulsaArtStudioTour.org

No comments: