Thursday, November 29, 2012

Composed Emotional Landscapes: Romy Owens

Spanning the second floor windows of the gallery, romy owen’s photo-based installation for the Concept/OK: Art in Oklahoma exhibition will create a panorama-style landscape. The installation, entitled A Bright Golden Haze on the Meadow, is composed of fragments of different photographs she shot that are sewn together.  


romy owens, detail of artistic process
“I feel disconnected from nature, and I sense I am not alone. I am surrounded by plastic, glass, steel and concrete. I spend more time in front of a flickering screen than I do outdoors,” said owens.

owens is an Oklahoma City-based artist owns has been featured in five solo exhibitions in addition to dozens of curated and juried group exhibitions. She also has curated more than a dozen group and solo exhibitions. She graduated from Oklahoma City University with a MA in Photography in 2005. Through September 2013, owens will be the Artist-in-Residence at the Skirvin Hotel in Oklahoma City. She prefers her name not be capitalized.

Read more in this Art Focus Oklahoma magazine article about the Focus artists. The Concept/OK: Art in Oklahoma exhibition opens December 16, 1-5 pm at the new Tulsa Arts and Humanities Council’s Hardesty Arts Center. Through a partnership with the Charlotte Street Foundation, the Focus artists will also present their work at the La Esquina gallery in Kansas City. See www.concept-ok.org for more information. 

No comments: