Friday, September 16, 2011

Traditional Designs Meet Contemporary Approaches: JUURI

JUURI, Norman
JUURI, Sea Bed - Kaitei, Acrylic, colored pencil
and collage on wood
Q: Tell us about the inspiration for of your 12x12 piece.
JUURI: My inspiration was Japanese imagery in the goldfish and deep-sea plants. You might see these types of traditional designs on kimonos, or on other fabrics. I usually do a beautiful female face, and incorporate those types of elements around her.

Q: How did you execute it technically?
JUURI: The face is acrylic + colored pencil on wood. The plant and fish pattern I laid out digitally, printed, and collaged onto the wood. There is also gold leaf in the piece.

Q: In what upcoming venues might audiences be able to see your work?
JURRI:  I am scheduled to have a show in 2012 at DNA Galleries in OKC. I also try to expand my horizons by joining many group shows in Los Angeles and other big cities. I also have a special event coming up in Norman in summer 2012, but it's still under wraps!

View and purchase artwork by 150 Oklahoma artists October 1, 2011 at the 12x12 Art Fundraiser.  Buy tickets, read more and see pictures at www.12x12okc.org

No comments: