Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Carved Wood Depicts 'Harmony' in Kendall Howerton's 12x12 Artwork

Kendall Howerton, In Harmony, 
Mahogany, purple
heart, tiger stripe maple, stone, 12"x12"

Q: Tell us about the inspiration for your 12x12 piece.
Kendall Howerton: This year’s piece "In Harmony" is a continuation of last year’s piece "Embracing Ones True Promise". The designs foundation lies as a symbolic beginning of a new relationship without roots, yet having an internal support system allowing one to open up to another in hopes of true companionship. This year’s piece "In Harmony" continues but has a root system gripping down to its foundation as it continues to grow and thrive.  Full of symbolic meaning, this piece is designed to show a peaceful balance of growth not only in its roots and leaves but in the fruit it bears. I would like to also add that putting out these pieces are costly but something about this show makes me want to continue to one up myself! I view the 12x12 as great opportunity to put forth some quality work that not only adds to the show to help raise money, but grants you that opportunity to show who you are as a skilled artist. I hope that some would take this to heart and push themselves in their art form to help continue to make this show one of the best that Oklahoma has to offer.

Q: How did you execute it technically?
KH: My design partner Chrissy Ireland and I went over this in great detail as we sketched out the concept and the proper materials to use. We felt it was important to display the piece as a delicate flower by sculpting it out of wood. I achieved its thin appearance and strong structure by sculpting it's back leaf and stem so the grain would hold up the weight of the flower without any structural concerns. Most of the body's bulk was removed with a band saw, then pneumatic sculpting/carving tools along with aggressive sanding wheels and grinders. The center of the flower was turned on the lathe and its pedals all sculpted mainly with sanding drums and pneumatic carving tools. Once it was sanded we applied green and yellow dyes and finished it off by buffing it all out with a large polishing flap sander. The dark highlights and color where applied with an airbrush and the top coat over the whole piece is a water white dead flat lacquer. The Alabaster Stone base is one of several pieces I unearthed and I felt it was fitting for the piece. I cut it with a large band saw and removed its outer top surface just enough so I could keep its raw edge and a few valleys on its top surface, then added a black dye and polished it out.

Howerton with custom crate (OVAC staff was blow away by his forethought!)
Q: You delivered your work in a special box. Will you tell about what it is and why you did that?
KH: Yes....the box!  I designed the box so it looks like a crate and kind of adds to the piece. It holds the sculpture inside from moving in any direction and I felt it was not only in the best interest of the piece, but to the individual that purchases it as well. Guess its just that added touch and forethought knowing that it will be handled and moved multiple times till it finds its new home. Got to ask yourself; why would you spend so much time on a piece and then not follow through by protecting your hard delicate work!!

Q: In what venues might audiences be able to see your work?
KH: Unfortunately most of my pieces are commissioned do to the fact that I am a professional artist and I haven't made myself available to be viewed through shows or galleries. However this is something that is currently changing this year and I'm open to those that would be interested in showing a body of my work. www.kendalls3d.com

View and purchase artwork by 150 Oklahoma artists October 1, 2011 at the 12x12 Art Fundraiser.  Buy tickets, read more and see pictures at www.12x12okc.org

No comments: