Thursday, July 7, 2011

Find a Quicker Artistic Medium: Margaret Aycock's Answer to Lack of Time

What happens when artists stop making art? In this blog series, we hear from artists who have restarted making art after a hiatus and how they got back into their studio practice.  
Margaret Aycock leading workshop for community art project
Margaret Aycock, Tulsa

When I first started having children I had to let the painting go for a while.  I had to find a creative outlet that allowed me to stop in midstream and pick up where I left off after someone was fed, diapered, played with etc.  During that time I picked up stained glass, quilting, crocheting and crafts.  None of those things required a concentrated block of time and all of them could be picked up and put down without breaking the creative process.  


All of those things became useful later in life as I transferred my skills in stained glass to mosaics (Tulsa Spirit Monument ) I now use my skills in needlework and crafts to my artist residency at Hillcrest Hospital.  I taught two girls to crochet today and one girl to knit. I also work with children and families to do craft workshops at the Gilcrease Museum.


As creative people, I think that we all find something to do in those dry spells that is still creative.  It may be that we pick up crafts, gardening, cooking, woodworking etc, but we get to take all those skills with us into the future so don't worry, be happy, and continue the creative journey!


Margee Aycock is an oil Painter, oil painting teacher, workshop leader at Gilcrease Museum, arts facilitator through Tulsa's Arts and Humanities Coucil's Artist in the Schools and Parks programs and Artist in Residence at Hillcrest Kaiser Rehab and Women's Center. 

No comments: