Thursday, February 24, 2011

Momentum Artist: Megan Bell

Megan Bell
Tulsa
Megan Bell, Rabbit, Clay, 12"x12"
Q: What was the concept behind your Momentum artworks?

Megan Bell: As far as concepts go I never tie myself down. When I pick up a piece of clay I have no idea what I'm going to end up with.

I do have a slew of little personalities that are played out in various sculptures which help get them into character.
 
Megan Bell, Cakes, Clay, 12"x12"
For example -- It's funny that these 2 sculptures were chosen to be in the same show, because in the beginning of their evolution they were meant to go together as one piece. But as I worked on them they began to take on 2 completely different personalities. As a result the "Rabbit" displays a deceptively innocent look while the "Chipmunk" has a sweet sexiness about her.

Q: Explain the technique and/or process you used to create your Momentum works.
Bell: My formal training is in design, not fine arts, so every sculpture is a learning experience. I try to get away with whatever the clay will let me get away with. I get very gutsy with my work, so as you can imagine I have had lots of failures. But in a way, that's the fun of it. I try all kinds of new things to cast different moods and feelings onto the clay. My techniques change constantly. That is what makes every day exciting.

Momentum OKC opens March 4& 5 with live music, performance and visual art by 97 young Oklahomans.  The exhibition remains on display until March 8 at 311 S Klein, OKC. Learn more or buy tickets here.

No comments: