Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Momentum Artist: Ryan Ringle

Ryan Ringle, 1978 Ford MustangAcrylic on Panel, 2'x4


Ryan Ringle, 1978 Ford Mustang (detail)Acrylic on Panel, 2'x4
Q: What was the concept behind your Momentum artwork?
Ringle: The concept in my work includes automobiles, in particular the kinds of automobiles you wouldn't wish to drive. I wanted to shed light on the cars that may have been a part of our lives that we don't wish to recognize. I am always surprised with the response I get from my viewers. Most experience a warm feeling when they reminisce on their old Dodge Caravan or Geo Metro. Those cars are not a cultural sensation but may have provided many fond memories for the driver, whether it be the everyday rides or the custom fabrication used to keep the car going. These are the cars that no one post's in car magazines, nor one would choose to take pictures of, nor one would never see in a car show.
Ryan Ringle, 1989 Chevy Lumina Van, Acrylic on Panel, 2'x4'

Ryan Ringle, 1989 Chevy Lumina Van (detail), Acrylic on Panel, 2'x4'

Q: Explain the technique and/or process you used to create your Momentum work.
Ringle: To create my concept I choose to make the cars a cut-out. I hoped to make the car look very admirable, pristine as well as action packed putting it on display like that of an advertisement. I felt the best way to accomplish this was make by making piece a cutout panel similar to the advertising methods you may see in a movie theatre. Its not uncommon to see a movie character turned into a cutout standee and it automatically draws you over to look at it. I have always had an appreciation of the "cutout's" ability to do this and I hoped to do this in my work.

Momentum Tulsa opens with an event October 9 with live music, performance and visual art by 52 young Oklahomans.  The opening is Saturday, October 9, 8-Midnight at Living Arts, 307 E. Brady in Tulsa. The exhibition remains on display until October 23. Learn more or buy tickets here.

No comments: