Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Momentum Artist: Sara Bowersock


Sara Bowersock, Buffalo Bill's Wild West, Acrylic, Spray Paint, 48x36"
Q: What was the concept behind your Momentum artwork?

Bowersock: Well, I was obviously really inspired by the "Wild West" - the imagery, the stories, etc. I wanted to take those old images that we're used to looking at in black and white or sepia tone, and breathe some life into them, "modernize" them in a way, and add dimension, and texture, and detail to the familiar images. I liked the idea of contrasting the more modern art style, with the old imagery, especially for the Buffalo Bill painting. I got that great old frame, and to put it around the updated image of Buffalo Bill, and I thought was a cool contrast! 
Sara Bowersock, Sitting Bull, Acrylic, Spray Paint, Yarn, 48x24
Q: Explain the technique and/or process you used to create your Momentum work.

Bowersock: I start with the image I want to use, and make a hand cut stencil (probably the most time consuming part of the process) I like he use of the stencil as one of the base layers, because it brings a more graphic look to the piece, with the solid defined edges. After the stencil is cut I prime the canvas, and add a few layers of texture and a base color with acrylic paint-I prefer acrylic because it dries so quickly. I put the stencil down for placement and then usually paint over it some more. It's several layers by the time I'm finished. I go back in after the basics are there and add detail with a brush and usually more spray paint. Sometime I add yarn or stitching or other materials as I go along. I always end with a lot of paint splattering...that always seems to be the "final touch!"


Momentum Tulsa opens with an event October 9 with live music, performance and visual art by 52 young Oklahomans.  The opening is Saturday, October 9, 8-Midnight at Living Arts, 307 E. Brady in Tulsa. The exhibition remains on display until October 23. Learn more or buy tickets here.

No comments: