Wednesday, September 1, 2010

12x12 Artist: Sue Clancy

Sue Clancy, Pugger Face, Hand Dried Paper
Q: Tell us how you created this piece.

Clancy:  I was thinking about self-expression, human facial expressions, artistic expression, body-language and doggy-expressions... and I thought of the concept "poker face"... which led (in a round-about-way) to Pugger Face.   So I doodled in my sketchbook, and then created drawings to the scale I wanted to make the finished work.  After the pencil sketch was "finished" then I made papers: I dyed some paper blue, others various shades of brown and green, I marbled by hand one paper (the brown swirled drink) and I decided I needed a plaid for his shirt and a wall-paper behind him that would look like a gentleman's den or a family room - so I searched in my "paper collection" until I found just the right ones....  Once all of the papers were created or found I cut out, with an Xacto knife, the shapes  that I needed for my artistic concept and pieced them together (the Pug's neck actually fits into his shirt, which fits into his sweater...), a touch here and there with acrylic paint (a highlight or shadow) finished it up.

Q: How is this work similar to or different from your other artwork? 

Clancy:  It's exactly the thing I do.  The only possible difference is that this piece is framed and the majority of my work is on deep cradled hardboard for which no frame is needed - but I also do a lot of these framed "flat pieces" as I call them, - so Pugger Face is fairly typical of my work. 

Q: In what upcoming venues might audiences be able to see your work? 

Clancy:  I just had some of my artwork purchased for the public art collection of the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. an international non-profit organization based in Arizona which specializes in health and human services.  So anytime you're in Arizona you can stop by and see my art!

In September I'll be in an exhibit titled Menagerie of the Mind at the John Michael Kohler Arts Center in Sheboygan, WisconsinAlso in September I'll be in an exhibit, The Morris & Essex Kennel Club show, at the Museum of the Dog in Saint Louis Missouri.  In October I'll be in an exhibit titled Black and White in Vancouver Washington at the North Bank Artists Gallery.  

On an ongoing basis in Oklahoma my artwork can be seen at the Joseph Gierek Fine Art Gallery in Tulsa at the Istvan Gallery in Oklahoma City, and at Downtown Art & Frame in Norman

View and purchase artwork by 150 Oklahoma artists September 25, 2010 at the 12x12 Art Sale and Event.  Buy tickets, read more and see pictures at www.12x12okc.org

No comments: