Saturday, October 24, 2009

Momentum Artist: Robyn Janloo

Robyn Janloo, Norman

Petition for Robert Pattinson

Paper

Q: What was your concept(s) behind your work(s)?

RJ: I was inclined to propose marriage to Robert Pattinson using the I-129F form after Twilight came out as a movie. Pattinson instantly captivated his audience and now embodies the perfect male companion. The idea of crossing the boundary that separates celebrities from other people is appealing. I am not only interested in the societal boundaries we create but how to intentionally disregard them.

Q: Explain the technique and/or process you used for the piece(s).

RJ: I researched immigration rules and regulations heavily. After finding and printing out the I-129F form, I took a passport size photo of myself and paired that with a passport size photo of Robert. I filled out the form and sent it to Robert via manila envelope. I do not have a reply at the moment, though he should have received my package by now.

Momentum Tulsa 2009 includes visual art by artists aged 30 and younger. The exhibition is free and open at Living Arts, 307 E Brady, Tulsa, until October 24. Gallery hours are through 5 pm TODAY.

Curators Scott Perkins & Frank Wick selected 93 artworks by 66 artists from all over the state for the exhibition. Also, three Spotlight artists created bodies of work on display, Nick Bayer, Dustin Boise, and Emily Kern. Intern Ashley Romano interviewed the artists to learn about their creative process. Watch for more profiles throughout the run of the exhibition.

No comments: