Monday, October 5, 2009

Momentum Artist: Kristin Gentry

Momentum Tulsa 2009 opens Saturday, October 10 with a big party of live music (COLOURMUSIC, Ghost, and Tribes of Soul) and fun. Tickets available in advance and at the door.

Curators selected 93 artworks by 66 artists for the exhibition. Also, three Spotlight artists will exhibit bodies of work profiled earlier on the blog, Nick Bayer, Dustin Boise, and Emily Kern. Intern Ashley Romano interviewed the artists to learn about their creative process. Watch for more profiles throughout the run of the exhibition, which remains on display at Living Arts, 307 E Brady, Tulsa, until October 24.

Kristin Gentry, Stillwater
Warmer
Gilcee Print with pen and ink
Q: What was your concept behind your work?
KG: My piece for Momentum Tulsa is from my body of work, Natural Influences. All the works in this series are about my spiritual belief that nature and man are one and the same. Flora interchangeably becomes a metaphor that I use with Native women to represent my cultural identity. My paintings and relief prints do not conform to classical realism, but push the boundaries of their colors and shapes through painted abstraction. I’m not trying to exactly copy or replicate nature, but create a physical world through paint that shows the spiritual world of plants and people being one and the same.

Q: Explain the technique and/or process you used for the piece(s).
KG: I break down the stereotypes of both floral painting and Native American art. I form flowers and figures in a unique way that is in contrast of how many artists rely on realistic representations. Formally, I am very interested in making compositions out of the colors and the positive or negative shapes of the plants and figures. I emphasize nature’s influence by showing the floral patterns on the clothing. Through this stylistic approach, my work honors my culture that is founded in nature-based customs and traditions.

No comments: