Friday, October 16, 2009

Momentum Artist: Grace Grothaus

Grace Grothaus, Tulsa

Node, Urban Organic and Haze

Mixed Media



Q: What was your concept(s) behind your work(s)?

GG: I am interested in landscape and how it has been redefined and literally sculpted by mankind. I am making work that reflects the new landscape: a mesh of organic systems and industrial modification. Though abstract, I consider these paintings a more true representation of the world we live in today than the nostalgic idealism that has often characterized landscape art in the past. I want to make apparent the complex relationships between natural and industrial systems in the world today.

Q: Explain the technique and/or process you used for the piece(s).

GG: I would say that my process is a little different than that of most painters. In fact, I would go so far as to say I am a sculptor who builds paintings. I start by taking photos, usually aerial photography. Then, using the images as a jumping-off point, I begin to draw, paint and apply materials to Mylar. As the painting develops, several more translucent and transparent layers are added, and then I begin to cut through the layers until finally a harmonious composition is achieved. It is all about the push and pull of additive and subtractive techniques and the interplay of values between light and dark.

Momentum Tulsa 2009 includes visual art by artists aged 30 and younger. The exhibition is free and open at Living Arts, 307 E Brady, Tulsa, until October 24. Gallery hours are through 5 pm TODAY.

Curators Scott Perkins & Frank Wick selected 93 artworks by 66 artists from all over the state for the exhibition. Also, three Spotlight artists created bodies of work on display, Nick Bayer, Dustin Boise, and Emily Kern. Intern Ashley Romano interviewed the artists to learn about their creative process. Watch for more profiles throughout the run of the exhibition.

No comments: