Saturday, August 8, 2009

24 Works on Paper: Leslie Waugh Dallam


To give insight into the works included in the 24 Works on Paper exhibition, Ryan Pack has interviewed some of the participating artists about their work in the show. Today is the last day to see the exhibition at IAO Gallery, 811 N Broadway in downtown OKC. It will then travel the state for a full year.

Leslie Waugh Dallam

Would you care to tell us about the technique you used for your piece? And why the technique appeals to you?
My piece, Cocoon, started with an old part of a picture from National Geographic. The picture was divided into fourths and I used a large sheet of black paper and divided it into several squares. I drew several cocoons in a variety of colors with chalk pastels. I used old colored gum wrappers, stamps and pieces of paper around the cocoons to add details. I then used silver paint on a old toy train and made several lines through the picture. The last step I used silver paint on a old toy alphabet wooden block and stamped the letter around the edge of the paper to finished the art piece. The reason I like the technique I used on Cocoon is it is so much fun to find all the recycled pieces of paper to create this piece of art work.

Do you listen to anything while you create your work? What inspires you (Be it art, music, books, movies, etc..)?
For my piece Cocoon I was in my classroom of high school students showing them how to make a large piece of art with a simple geometric shape and recycled materials that I could find in my room or from students. I am listening to students while I work. My students, colleagues, and twin sister are always an inspiration to me.

No comments: