Friday, July 3, 2009

Help: Rejection, what's love got to do with it? Mark Wyatt

I asked several artists who exhibit regularly and participate widely to let me know how they deal with artistic rejection. See earlier posts for more background.

Mark Wyatt is known for fascinating designs and surfaces for his paintings. I appreciated his focus on the enjoyment of making his artwork over pleasure in selling or showing publically. Many artists may share his perspective and may be able to temper feelings of disappointment over rejection by concentrating on creating their artwork. If the actual enjoyment of making your work is more important to you, you can certainly be more selective about how and to whom you show your artwork.

Q: How do you decide what juried shows to enter?
MW: If a show seems to consider my type of work and it is convenient I will enter. I have sold a lot more art just by myself than I have in any show.

Q: What percentage of them would you say you’ve gotten in over your career?
MW: Maybe 40%

Q: What is your experience of rejection from artistic things? Has it changed over time?
MW: I have been rejected by galleries and organizations both who would have charged me a high percentage of any sales for commission. I have sold quite a bit of work by myself and kept the whole amount. So, I look at rejection as their loss and my gain. On another note, I view myself as an artist and not a business. I do art because it pleases my soul to make images. If I sell something, that is great. If I don't, it wasn't meant to be. I would rather art lovers find my art mystically and enjoy it for reasons other than they are investing in a product.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just saw this! Five months late. LOL! I think you missed my point all together. Selling isn't important to me at all - even though it is nice when it happens. Making art is what is important and I do so separate from any thought of selling.

Mark Wyatt 12/29/2009

Julia Kirt said...

Right, I think I understood you... maybe I wasnt' clear enough in my intro-- I think it's great to hear you focus more on making the work than selling.

Your perspective is a nice reminder of the heart of art making (sales/"winning" frequently supplant artists' own respect for their work and obviously this isn't the case with you).