Thursday, July 30, 2009

24 Works on Paper Artists: Trent Lawson

To give insight into the works included in the 24 Works on Paper exhibition, Ryan Pack has interviewed some of the participating artists about their work in the show. The exhibition continues through August 8 at IAO Gallery, 811 N Broadway in downtown OKC. It will then travel the state for a full year.

Trent Lawson

Would you care to tell us about the technique you used for your piece? And why the technique appeals to you?
A certain amount of my process is left up to chance. I use a kind of brittle gesso, that when applied thick, will crack. I randomly create lines that become the basis for my imagery. The freedom of letting go and not knowing exactly what will come out appeals to me. For this particular piece, I put down a layer of gesso, and then placed cotton twine in that wet gesso. Next, I slung some thinned paint onto the surface, creating more texture. For good measure, I threw some salt on it to create extra little pores.

If you could write an artist's statement for you piece, what would it be?
Now it's time to analyze. I stare and turn and stare and turn until an imagery comes to mind; and I work to bring that out onto the piece. I enjoy texture and watching people interpret my work. A successful piece to me is when ten different people have ten different reactions to a piece.

No comments: